MONDAY, OCTOBER 29 – SPOOKY SILENTS – featuring the Peacherine Ragtime Orchestra
Come celebrate the Plaza’s 10-Year Anniversary and PAPA’s 40-Year Anniversary with this special event! Travel back to the early 1900s to enjoy three silent films paired with the original historic orchestral scores. We’ll show these silent films on the big screen in the theater while the Peacherine Orchestra plays along just like they did 100+ years ago! SPOOKY SILENTS movies include:
Charlie Chaplin in One A.M. (1916)
Buster Keaton in The Haunted House (1921)
Laurel and Hardy in Habeas Corpus (1928)
Between the films, enjoy the rollicking rhythms of the early 20th century as played by Peacherine, featuring favorites by Scott Joplin, Irving Berlin, and more! Please note that theater seats are reserved/assigned seating only. Purchase early to reserve your preferred seats.
Scroll down for more information on the Masquerade Ball before the show!
Tickets $18 – $25 | ALL AGES SHOW | Costumes are encouraged!
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
The Peacherine Ragtime Society Orchestra is “the premier American ragtime ensemble” as hailed by the Washington Post. Formed by conductor Andrew Greene at the University of Maryland in 2010, the Orchestra recreates the syncopated stylings of a bygone era – ragtime, theater, and dance music, along with underscoring classic silent films using the original orchestral scores.
Before the show, join us for a hauntingly good time at our Masquerade Ball!
Time: 5:30 – 7:15 pm
Attire: Dressy or Costumes & Masks Encouraged
Cost: $20 per person | Limited to 125 guests (21+)
Venue: The Plaza Arts Center Reception Hall
Ticket includes heavy appetizers, one drink ticket, and access to a spellbinding party! Cash bar featuring premium wines, craft beer & plenty of spirits.
Come to see The Plaza transformed into a spooky, hallowed hall! We’ll be going all out with festive decorations to make this a very memorable event! A few masks will be available for purchase for those that might decide to join the festivity at the last minute. It is not mandatory that you dress in costume or a mask…just strongly encouraged! See below for a list of costume ideas. Really, anything goes! Just remember the Spooky Silents is a family friendly event, so make sure the costume is too. *Additional ticket purchase required for SPOOKY SILENTS.
- Dressy/cocktail attire with a simple mask. There are some inexpensive mask options on Amazon. Check out these ideas: Women’s Venetian style mask or this Phantom of the Opera mask LOTS of other styles/shapes check out this link: Masquerade Mask Ultralight Metal Rhinestone Venetian
- Hollywood actor/actress – James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, Audry Hepburn, Danny & Sandy from Grease
- Silent film stars – Laurel & Hardy, Charlie Chaplin
- Music Icons – Sonny & Cher, Madonna, The Village People, 80’s Hair Band, David Bowie, Spice Girls
- Superhero – Superman, Batman, Catwoman, Wonder Woman, X-Men
- Twenties flappers, gangsters, Disney characters
- Pirates, magician, circus ringmaster, clowns
- Classic/Horror – monsters like Frankenstein, Dracula, zombie, The Addams Family, witch, skeleton
- These are just a few ideas to get you brainstorming! Have fun….and See You at The Plaza!