ABOUT THE PLAZA
The Plaza Arts Center is located in a renovated schoolhouse built in 1916. The renovation, detailed in this 2008 documentary, took ten years from conception to completion and the center opened to the public in March 2008. The Plaza Arts Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization created to bring artistic and cultural opportunities to the residents of Putnam County and the surrounding Lake area.
The facility offers a 500 seat theater with floor and balcony seating, a reception hall, kitchen, lobby and gallery area, a history museum, art classroom and community boardroom. This combination and variety of spaces make the Plaza an excellent venue for banquets, parties, weddings and receptions, family and school reunions, business meetings and conferences, classes, community programs and events, plays, pageants, concerts and more. Click here for more information on renting the Plaza for your personal event or business meeting needs.
The Plaza Arts Center’s administrative offices and The Eatonton Chamber of Commerce occupy business space in the building as well.
OUR MISSION – Connecting the Community through the Arts
The Plaza has become a major cultural mainstay of the lake area communities by offering an outstanding level of talent and entertainment and serving as a central gathering place for local artisans, social and civic groups. Our mission is to promote interest and participation in the visual and performing arts by providing programs and facilities for community and regional involvement, education, and enjoyment.
These 3 simple, yet powerful words CENTER around all of our work.
CREATE – First Class Performances and Talent to entertain the family year round.
CULTIVATE – Ensure we have a place for lifelong learning – like The Plaza Community Center – The Old School History Museum – The Theatre which supports our ongoing partnership with Putnam County Schools.
CELEBRATE – A unique place for our community to gather to hold parties, weddings, meetings and other celebrations.
The Eatonton School, located on historic North Madison Avenue, was built in 1916 and was used continuously as an education facility until 2001. The Putnam Chamber of Commerce Leadership Class of 1998 adopted the school as a renovation project. From that point, Tom Rosseter and three major committees provided the necessary leadership to move through all the planning, fundraising, and construction process necessary to complete the renovation.
Ten years later, The Plaza Arts Center, as the building was named, opened for public use in March 2008. View the 2008 documentary, The Plaza Arts Center, for an overview of the restoration process below.
Since opening over 45,000 people a year have entered and enjoyed many public and private programs, events, educational opportunities and civic meetings held at The Plaza Arts Center. From an inspirational idea to a functional and beautiful facility, The Plaza Arts Center now serves as a crown jewel of the Eatonton Historic District, and as an important, inviting and comfortable community gathering place for a myriad of activities.
- Dr Richard Benson
- L.O. and Nancy Benton
- Sammy and Roddie Anne Blackwell
- Russ and Jane Cartmill
- Chuck and Ame Haley
- Rudy and Maude Hicks
- Dudley and Helen Ruth Horton
- Joe and Anne Hudson
- Dennis and Dottie McClain
- Tom and Sandra Rosseter
- Marsha & Dan Sichveland
- A. Mark and Jo Ann Smith
- Tod and Pamelia Swymer
- Tom and Pam Thompson
- Harvey and Amelia Wilson